Youth Programs

Dallas Woods & Waters Foundation

The Woods and Waters Foundation (WWF) is an IRS 501(c)(3) charitable organization which works closely with the Dallas Woods and Waters Club (DWWC) to establish mutually compatible charitable goals. Our mission is to ensure the future of the great outdoors through conservation, preserving wildlife, restoring habitats, and educating our youth in the outdoor disciplines and the preservation of our natural resources. We also strive to develop charitable contributions and gifts in order to further our mission and to assist other charitable organizations with similar goals and objectives.

Recognizing that the future of our organization, are our youth, one of the Woods and Waters Foundation's primary missions is the continued investment in youth experiences and programs. Programs are planned throughout the year to further the interest and education of our youth. The Youth and Family Activities Committee is chaired by Danny Souder. Anyone interested in joining this committee should contact Danny at (214)394-5250.

We offer $100 donations for assistance on Eagle Scout Service Projects. We require a written request describing the project and our board will select one Scout each month to receive $100 for use on their project. We only ask that the Scout submit an article and pictures of the completed project for our use in upcoming issues of the DWWC monthly newsletter. Request should be sent to:

Woods and Waters Foundation
1221 W. Campbell Road, Suite 215
Richardson, TX 75080

Our club is committed to providing outdoor opportunities to young men and women who might not otherwise be able to experience these types of activities.


January 17-19: Youth Doe Hunt at the MBarH

February 21-22 Huntmaster Training with the Texas Youth Hunting Program (

March 1 Youth & Family Activities Booth at the DWWC 35th Annual Banquet

March 21-22 Youth Hog Hunt sponsored by the Huntmasters in Crockett, Texas

April 25-27 Youth Turkey Hunt with Christian Outdoor Alliance at Mennard Ranch

May 10 Youth Safety Event

The 1st Annual DWWC Youth Outdoor Safety Event (in cooperation with the Dallas Safari Club) is coming up on Saturday, May 10 from 9am-3pm at Poetry Shooting Club in Terrell. Please call the office at 214-218-6670 for more information, to sign up your child, or to volunteer. Cost is $20 per child, nine and older. Pistol, rifle, shotgun, and archery use and safety will be taught by expert instructors. Lunch is included.

Youth Fishing Event (Date to be announced)

If you have any questions about these events or would like to be part of the Youth and Family Activities Committee, please contact Danny Souder at (214)394-5250.



More pics to come!


















Boy Scouts Eagle Projects

Johnny Hattner

Troop 32

First off, I would like to thank the Woods & Waters Foundation for the $100 donation which I am grateful for. The donation was very helpful in the completion of my Eagle project. I used the donation to purchase hardware for the benches I built for the project. I spent about 20 hours with Mr. Richard Harms, my dad, and Mr. May my Eagle Scout coach, to develop the plan for the project. Planning included asking for donations of time, material, equipment and money to acquire everything needed for the project. The actual project took from 8:00 - 3:30, for the large group of volunteers from Troop 32 in Keller including 23 scouts and 7 parents, on Saturday October 24, 2009. The project ran very well from start to finish. The project itself was to take down an old and hazardous baseball backstop and replace it with a new one in Bear Creek Park which is in Keller, Texas. In addition to this we added three 10 foot long benches behind the backstop so that anyone using it had somewhere to sit and put their gear on or more comfortably sit and watch the games.

We arrived at 7:30 along with Mr. Frank Dale who donated his time and tractor with a post hole digger to start setting up the project. At 8:00 scouts from Troop 32 started to show up and then I broke them into 3 work groups. The first group was responsible for breaking down the old backstop and arranging the scrap metal into separate piles so it could be hauled off by the city for recycling. The second was in charge of putting the three benches together and once they we done they would then help the first group. The third and final group came with me to take measurements and to decide where the new backstop would be installed. After determining the proper location of the holes, we drilled the 6 holes required for the backstop. Then we located and drilled the 6 holes for the benches. Everybody started helping unload the new sections of backstop and started laying out the pieces for assembly.

This initial work lasted until 12:30 and then we broke for lunch. At 1:00 I assigned 6 people to carry the bags of concrete to the backstop area and get the water to mix up 2 bags of cement for each of the 6 backstop posts. The rest of the group I assigned to put together the new backstop. This took about one and a half hours and once this was finished we set the backstop up to measure the distance between the holes again. We had to do some more digging and hole adjustment so the backstop would fit. We then stood the backstop up and put it in the holes. We mixed the concrete up in wheelbarrows and poured it into the holes. I had a group work on leveling and holding the backstop until the quick dry concrete would set up enough to hold the backstop in place. I had another group go get concrete sacks and water to mix up 1 sack of concrete per bench leg. After this was done we put in the 3 benches behind the backstop and everyone except for a select few stayed until it dried. Completion of the project required more than 150 hours of work from Troop 32 volunteers.

I would once again like to thank you for your contribution and for the many other donations you have made to help make my eagle project and many others possible.

Blake McCartin

Thank you so much for your generous donation towards my Eagle Project. I completed the project for the Center of Hope, a shelter for homeless women and their children, on November 27, 2010. With the help of six volunteers, starting on October 16, 2010, I constructed an outdoor area for the children to play on while they stay at the shelter.

The Center already had a basketball hoop and backboard, but the area had no court lines. The area also had two picnic tables, but they were located across the parking lot in an unshaded area that becomes extremely hot during the summer. The director of the Center, Ms. Hazel Mays, asked me to paint a four square court and a hopscotch area, patch an area of broken concrete, and add a chalkboard to the play area.

After completing the fundraising, I and a small team of volunteers picked up the supplies and prepared the wood for the benches. After sanding the boards, we sealed the wood with Thompson's Water Sealant and built the two benches. The moms and kids now have a place to relax outside. We used black chalkboard paint on an existing wall and patched the chipped concrete so that the children would have a smooth area to play basketball. Stencils were used to paint a basketball court under the existing hoop. Then, using tape to outline the area, we painted on the four square court. After the fours scqure, we created stencils to make a hopscotch area. For the final part of the project, I purchased an umbrella for the picnic tables to provide shad on hot summer days.

Because of generous donations like yours, I raised $600 more than my estimated costs. I used part of the money to purchase basketballs, kickballs, soccer balls, portable soccer nets, and other sports equipment. After these purchases, $400 was left to donate to the Center. The children of the Center of Hope now have an area where they can play during their stay at the shelter.

Thank you again for your generous donation.

Carter Bartolome

Troop 1001, Richardson, TX

Thank you for your generous donation in support of my Eagle Scout service project.

The construction of the individual game kiosks for each of the five waiting rooms in The Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children in Dallas, Texas, was completed on December 18, 2010. This multifaceted project began on November 6, 2010 encompassing a wide variety of tasks; fundraising, solicitation of local businesses, construction, assembly and delivery of games and materials.

The Scottish Rite Hospital for Children in Dallas already had one game kiosk in one of its waiting rooms, but needed additional games for the five kiosks. Each game kiosk required twelve games per station, for a total of sixty games. The director of development, Mrs. Mandi Valdez requested that the games be age appropriate ranging from toddler to teen and attached to Sintra® Board matching the exact size, shape and color of the boards hanging on the existing kiosk. She also requested that games with speakers be disabled so as not to bother other patients waiting.

During the course of six weeks, I and a team of dedicated volunteers put in over 150 total hours to make this project a reality. Upon completion of the fundraising, we set off to purchase or solicit donations from local businesses for the variety of required games and materials. The next phase of the project entailed taking the existing bell shape, tracing around it and transferring the pattern onto two 4’x 8’ sheets of the Sintra Boards in order to obtain the required number of game boards. We initially cut out the shapes with a jig saw, leaving approximately half of material past the traced pattern and then used a table router to obtain a clean, finished looking product. After drilling a 1” hole in each of the boards, we lightly sanded the sharp cut edge to make sure no one was cut. Before we could attach the games with a strong PVC adhesive, we had to disassemble the games, cut the speaker wires, reassemble and test them. This project was no walk in the park, but rather five days of obtaining games and materials, two days of construction and a day to deliver and set up.

These game kiosks now enhance the waiting rooms of the hospital and bring joy to over 40,000 children who pass through the hospital annually. I encourage you to stop by The Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children at 2222 Welborn Street in Dallas, Texas and see what you helped accomplish. If you are not able, I have also enclosed a photo montage of the project from start to finish.

Once again, I am extremely grateful and appreciative for your support of The Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children and my Eagle Scout project. It would not have been possible without the generosity of the Woods and Waters Foundation.

Eric Stollon

Troop 570, Circle 10

Rain or shine, there was work to be done and a project to finish. Dreary skies this fall didn't stop my Eagle Project from being completed.

At Temple Shalom Dallas, located on the southeast corner of Alpha and Hillcrest Road, the creek at its perimeter continued to grow unattended and trash accumulated throughout the high brush. The creek, a potential natural high point, had slowly transformed into an eyesore, sadly was not in any shape to be used for services or even visited by congregants. On October 4th and 5th, dozens of people helped me carry out a massive creek clean up and to install a Malibu-style bench by the creek bridge for rest and relaxation. This project was no walk in the park; but rather a day and half of hard labor by many people; scouts, high school students and adults of all ages. Trucks driving up and down transporting brush for collection, people sloshing up and down the creek cleaning up trash, and loppers cutting down branches were just a few of the tasks which people put their effort into. A beautiful bench was also included in this creek beautification project to allow people to sit under the tamed trees and enjoy the scenic view. The creek has truly morphed into a beautiful, useable nature area where religious and other events could be held.

The Woods and Waters Foundation's generous financial donation significantly helped my Eagle Project, by allowing tools and equipment to be acquired. This support allowed my Eagle Project to run much more efficiently and safely thanks to great organizations like Woods and Waters Foundation, Boy Scouts of America continues to be successful and to contribute to the Dallas Community.

Matt Ryan

I would like to thank you very much for your generous contribution of $100 to my Eagle Project. Because of the support that you and others have provided, the project was very successful and I feel that everything went smoothly.

In all, the project took us about twelve hours to complete. My dad and I began loading up my truck and our family SUV with supplies at about 6:30 A.M. and soon we were out the door and on the way to the site of the apartments. We unloaded in the parking lot and set up a table for the boys to get some doughnuts, and help began to arrive by about 9:10 A.M.

I began the project by walking everyone through the process, showing them what we were going to fix and how we were going to do it. After dividing the boys into two groups, I sent one to begin extending downspouts, and one to build a section of gutter to be installed on the roof. The first hour in particular was not easy, as not everyone had quite figured out how to do their jobs. Soon enough, however, we had mostly resolved the details and logistics of the work, and the project began to run itself. By around 11:30 AM, we had attached the new gutter, extended most of the downspouts, replaced missing splash-blocks, and had begun to plant flowers and mulch a small area in front of one of the apartments. A little after noon, we stopped for a lunch break, and ate a meal which the Chick-filet on Rufe Snow had donated. Once returning to work, we began to work on building the underground portion of the rain gutters. We dug out trenches from two of the downspouts and joined them at one point, and then dug a few feet outward from there. In these trenches, we fitted PVC piping that we extended up to the downspouts in order to divert rainfall from causing erosion near the foundation. This process took more time than I had expected, but after several hours of digging, connecting, cementing and refilling, the bulk of the project was through. All that was left to do now was to landscape the area around where we had connected the downspouts and pipes. To do this, we surrounded the area with landscaping bricks and filled up this space with topsoil and mulch. By the time that the project was complete, collectively the group of seventeen scouts and adults that came had spent over one hundred hours in total on the project.

Again, thank you for your support. Without the help organizations like yours, my project and many others would not have been possible. Attached are some of the pictures taken at my Eagle project.

Ethan Sprinkle

For my Eagle Project I replaced the barbed wire fence located at the Garland FFA Agriculture Barn.  The fence was beginning to lean over and fall apart, letting out the cattle.  The first task of my Eagle Project was placing an H-post at the far end of the fence.  There were 4 anchor posts spaced out along the fence already, but an anchor post was needed at the start of the fence.  Two holes three feet deep were dug for the H-post.  The post was placed in the holes, and then filled with one and a half bags of concrete mix.  This was done three days before the start of the actual project in order to let the concrete completely dry.

On the first day of the project, I had to remove all the plants located along the fence.  Parts of the plants were growing in between the fence, as well as along the fence, and needed to be removed.  This was easier said than done, because parts of the pasture were flooded from rain.  Another difficult task was removing the briars that completely covered parts of the fence.  The briars had grown in between each other as well as the wire, making it difficult to remove.  Many boys, as well as myself, had to grasp the briars with gloves and remove them by pulling on them a little at a time. Eventually, the briars loosened enough to be removed by hand.  Some of the tree limbs were hanging too low over the fence, and it would have been difficult to drive the posts back in with the limbs hanging as low as they were.  Anyone under the age of eighteen was not allowed to operate heavy machinery, so my grandfather, Pete Crouch, had to operate the chainsaw to remove the tree limbs.

Once all of the plants were removed, I then had to remove the old barbed wire by unclipping the old T-post clips.  After removing all of the clips, the wire was rolled up and stored in a bin containing scrap metal located at the barn.  We could only do sections of the fence at a time, in case the project had to be abandoned for a day because of rain.  Once a section of wire was removed, the T-posts were removed with a small tractor, equipped with a heavy chain attached to the bucket.  The chain was wrapped around the post and pulled out by the tractor.  If the post was reusable, it was used in the completion of the new fence.  Some of the posts were still in decent condition, but were bent.  In the case that the bend wasn’t too terrible, it was bent back into a straight post.

Anything between two anchor posts was defined as a section.  Once a section was completely removed, posts were placed ten feet apart, and then driven in by hand with a T-post driver.  After the posts were driven in, then six strands of wire were evenly spaced along the fence.  The wire was stretched and attached to the closest anchor.  Strand by strand, T-post clips were attached to the posts.

Only one section was completed on the first day, because of all the prep work done on the first day.  The next day, we experienced rain, and the day after it snowed.  The project was delayed until the next weekend.

On that Saturday, we were able to complete the rest of the fence.  Once the fence was completed, we then went up and down the fence picking up any trash or scrap metal.  All trash, metal, and cut off plants were disposed of properly. 

There were no major injuries; only two people experienced somewhat major cuts, which were cleaned up instantaneously.  Water and lemonade were available at all times for anyone who needed it, and lunches were provided from other donors.

The project was a huge success, thanks to you and other donors.  The FFA Advisor, Dale Mulkey, was pleased with the project and its results.  Thanks gain for your donation.  Without you, this project would not have run as smoothly as it did. 

Before Construction

During Construction

After Construction


Timothy Smiley

Troop 226, Plano, Texas

The Heritage Farmstead Museum has always been a special place for me and my family. I remember my visits there as a very young boy, with my parents, homeschool groups and in Cub Scouts. When it was time to choose and Eagle project, the choice was an easy one.

I had several meetings with Alex Pelt, the manager from Heritage Farmstead, who let me selecte from a couple of projects that they wanted completed on the property. We decided on a project where I would be covering a section of a barn with tin to help protect the antique automobiles that were stored inside the barn from the weathering elements.

It took several months of planning and preparation to make my project work, as well as alot of redoing estimates and plans. I learned a great deal from working and planning this project and trying to anticipate any problems that might come up and dealing with the ones that did.

I was very concerned about the hot weather we were experiencing in the weeks leading up to the project date, as the temperatures were soaring to as high as 110 on some days. I was concerned about me and all of the helpers doing this project in such extreme heat, and trying to prepare for it. The day of my project came and me and my family were awakened to loud thunder and it was pouring rain.

While we really needed the rain, I was worried that this would negatively affect my project or that I might even have to cancel it. It had not rained a drop in months and the rain just had to rain the day of my project, I began to get very discouraged. I was very pleasantly surprised after a few hours when the rain had stopped and we only had temperatures that stayed around the low 90's for the entire day with almost no cloud cover.

We were able to work on my project with even a cool breeze at times and I felt that God was giving me a special gift and blessing my project. Due to the unexpected nice weather we were able to get 90% of my project completed the first day! Something I had not anticipated! I see that God was in control the entire time, as I was able to get my project approved only days before and then the wonderful weather was an added surprise after I thought we would have to cancel. In the end it turned out great and we were able to finish the last little part of it the next afternoon without any trouble.

I would like to thank the Dallas Woods & Waters Club very much for their extremely generous donation, my project could not have been possible without it.



During Construction


Finished Project

Gabriel Holzapfel

Thank you for your support with a generous donation of $100 towards my Boy Scout Eagle Project. With the help of donations provided by companies and individuals, I was able to replace two old and deteriorating signs at Household of Faith Church as well as replace an old and unsafe flower garden with a strong masonry border that will last for years.

When I first considered a project almost two years ago, I narrowed it down to my church because I could clearly see many things that needed to be done. I also wanted to do something that was challenging and new but possible for inexperienced scouts to do.

Looking around I saw that there were large nails sticking out of the railroad ties that were being used as the flower garden border, this was a major safety hazard. The landscaping timbers were very old and deteriorating and posed a danger. After further examining the area I later developed the project idea to replace the deteriorating church signs as well.

I wanted to have a project that would benefit the church and something that the community surrounding the church would enjoy. I also found it important to do something that would last for a long time.

Through months of preparation and help from Scoutmasters, parents and so many willing people and companies, the project was ready to implement. By the time I replaced the upper sign, it was practically illegible. The landscape timbers needed only to be pushed off with our feet because they were so rotten. The lower sign was in need of reformatting and adding the church web address. God has taught me a lot through the course of the project and I hope to continue to learn from similar projects in the future.

1Chronicles 16:34 Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.


Before Construction

During Construction

Finished Project



DWWC also provides financial support to the following organizations: Buckner Children's Home, Operation Orphans, YMCA of Richardson, Texas, Texas Brigades, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Coppell Family YMCA, and Boy Scouts and Explorer Scouts.



Date: September 11, 2014
Time: Dinner 7:00pm
Speaker: John Mumford
Topic: What Will It Take for America to Succeed in the 21st Century?


Cavanaugh Flight Museum

4572 Claire Chennault Street

Addison, TX 75001 


Purchase Tickets Online at:

Dallas Woods and Waters 9/11 Patriot Dinner